Homily: March 5, 2022, Saturday after Ash Wednesday

 There is an Indian common saying, ‘Tell me who your friends are, and I will tell you who you are’. And a phrase we all know, ‘Birds of a feather, flock together’.

Are these sayings true?

I have a friend in India, who was known for all his tricks in business and illegal connections. He was despised by many and wanted by the police. But I became his friend, against the advice of my brother priests. He shared with me honestly everything he did, the bad and the ugly. He was open, sincere, and truthful with me. He too accepted me as I am and treated me better than my other friends.

I do not like the bad things he did, but I like him. He remains my good friend.

So were the tax collectors to Jesus. He became their friend. He sat with them, ate with them. He accepted them. He saw in them goodness which others did not see. He saw beyond their unacceptable occupation. He saw their needs. They needed God. They needed to hear the good news. They needed salvation, like any other.

They were open, truthful, and sincere with Jesus. They welcomed Him better than the Pharisees, who were in respectable positions.

God sees deep into our hearts. He sees the truth of our being. He does not judge us by our worldly occupations or positions. He loves every soul. Everyone is precious.

He has come to be our friend. Will we sit and eat with Him? Will we be open, sincere, and truthful with Him? Will we listen to Him? Amen.

Fr. Nivin Scaria


Comments

Read

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily April 29, Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

Homily: April 30, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week of Easter (Power over Satan)

Homily: June16, 2023, Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (Jesus Yoke)

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent