Homily: February 1, 2023, Wednesday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

 “A prophet is not without honour except in his native place and among his own kin and in his own house.”

This is so true. I experienced the same. The most challenging place for me to preach is my home parish. In that small parish of 194 families, more than 30 families are my cousins and uncles. There are also my childhood friends from the same village, who knew me very well when we were all kids. And of course, my six siblings, who are always eager to find a discussion point from my homilies to tease me.

I can understand, because it is difficult for them to take anything I say seriously since all they remember of me were naughty times and childish years. Everything about me now, gets filtered through their memories of my past.

Only my late papa, he was the only one from home who appreciated my homilies and encouraged me, because he had always chosen to see the deeper beauty of me, and everyone else.

If we follow the lives of the Old Testament prophets, it can be heart-wrenching. Most of them were killed by their own people, not outsiders.

If we think about it, do we also find that it is much easier for us to talk about faith matters and share spiritual stories with people outside of family, to strangers rather than friends, because they seem more open to listen to us?

Our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified by His own people, the Jews. Prophets warn, correct and even reprimand the people, to turn them away from sin and guide them back to God. They stand for the Truth and speak the Truth. And these are often not the nicest things to hear. Many choose to reject such messages especially when delivered by people whom they are familiar. Instead, they prefer to believe messages that appeal to their likes. They prefer to follow and trust social media, even if those are fake news and negative feeds.

What should we do?

We should be brave. We too are called to be prophets of this world, to deliver the message of God faithfully, to witness to the Truth fearlessly. And that includes preaching to our own families, the ones closest to us. It would be our big regret if we saved others but not our loved ones.

So let us pray that the Holy Spirit will strengthen and grace us to be true prophets of Christ, to the world and to our home.

Amen. 

Fr. Nivin Scaria 


Comments

Read

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent

Homily: March 6, 2022, First Sunday of Lent

Homily: March 25, 2024, Monday of the Holy week (Servant songs).

Homily March 20, 2022, Third Sunday of Lent Year A Readings (For RCIA)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 11, 2023, Tuesday in the Octave of Easter (Ignorance)

Homily: May 10, 2023, Wednesday of the Fifth week of Easter (Holy family School Mass)