Homily: November 14, 2023, Tuesday of the Thirty-second Week in Ordinary Time (unprofitable).

"We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we are obliged to do".

Are we willing to be ‘unprofitable’ in serving others?

It is a very difficult request from the Lord; honestly, I am not able to. I am very willing to serve others, especially for the good and needs of our parishioners, but I sometimes do subconsciously expect at least an appreciation. While I do not need acknowledgement or be given credit for my work, I realized I get very upset if my efforts do not win the approval of my superiors or significant people in my life. And I definitely will get very angry if I found out that my sacrifices and generosity were taken for granted and not valued.

Can I ever be an unprofitable servant? I think if I can see how in serving others, I am really serving the Lord Himself, it would be possible.

St. Francis de Sales said, “Great occasions for serving God come seldom, but little ones surround us daily.” So, it is the little daily acts of service that will rise up to God.

St. Ignatius of Loyola prayed, “teach us to give and not count the cost.” Only with God’s grace can I bear the cost with generosity. I must pray the litany of humility more often.

Imagine all of us were to think this way and live it. Our families, church, and society will certainly be a better place. This was how Jesus lived while on earth. He is our model.

This world operates mostly on contractual agreements, because many people are afraid to lose, they want to protect their rights, their property, their well-deserved gain. Contracts give them the right to receive the benefits and the right to sue if they don’t receive. 

Worldly life is a daily battle, winning and profiteering is the aim. Few people are willing to give without any gain.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, number 358, teaches that "God created everything for man, but man, in turn, was created to serve and love God and to offer all creation back to him."

The basic reason why we are created is to love and serve God. When we live for ourselves by leading a selfish, self-centered, and self-absorbed life, we would never be happy or satisfied because we are not fulfilling the purpose of our existence.

There are many ways to serve God. If you feel called to serve through the parish, there are Time, Talent and Treasure forms in the pews, you can fill it in and send to us. 

God has a purpose for your life. It would be your greatest joy when you discover that purpose and live it. Discern and discover, then serve without a care for profit. Joy and peace will be your reward. 

Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: Thursday, June 9, Thursday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.