Homily: April 18, 2026, Saturday of the Second Week of Easter (Be not Afraid )

 “It is I. Do not be afraid.”

One of my nephews and I used to do WhatsApp video calls. You know how those apps have masks and funny filters. One day I put on a scary mask, he threw the phone aside, and ran away. He got frightened. Later I called him and said , “It’s your uncle. Don’t worry.” After that we made an agreement—no more masks/ filters during our calls.

Now he is fine!

In today’s Gospel, the disciples see Jesus walking on the water, but they do not recognize Him. They think they are seeing a ghost, and they are terrified.

Then Jesus speaks: “It is I. Do not be afraid.”

The moment they hear His voice, fear begins to leave them. His words help them recognize Him. His voice brings peace.

That is the power of the word of God. We see the opposite in Gethsemane. When the soldiers came to arrest Jesus, they asked, “Are you Jesus the Nazorean?” Jesus answered: “I AM.”

And the Gospel says they drew back and fell to the ground. The same Lord. The same voice. The same divine power. To some, His presence brings peace. To others, it brings fear. What makes the difference?

Our openness. Our faith. Our disposition of heart.

If we love Him and trust Him, His voice calms our storms. If we resist Him, His truth unsettles us.

Many of us today are carrying fears—fear about health, family, future, finances, loneliness, or death itself. Into all those fears, Jesus still speaks:

“It is I. Do not be afraid.” When life feels dark, when the storm is strong, when you do not recognize what God is doing—listen for His voice.

Because one word from Jesus can give peace to the heart, strength to the weak, and courage to continue. So today, let us ask for faith to recognize Him in the storm, and peace to trust Him when He says:

“It is I. Do not be afraid.” Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: September 21, 2026, Mass of Healing and Remembrance for those who died by Suicide

Homily: September 20, 2026, Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Come to my Vineyard)

Homily: July 28, 2023, Friday of the sixteenth week in Ordinary time (First commandment).

Homily: August 15, 2026, Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sin-death)

Homily: September 4, 2026, Friday of the Twenty second Week in Ordinary Time (Do not Judge)

Homily: September 19, 2026, Saturday of the Twenty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Generous God)

Homily: April 2, 2024, Tuesday in the Octave of Easter (Mary at the Tomb).

Homily: September 25, 2026, Friday of the Twenty-Fifth Week in Ordinary Time (A time for everything)

Homily: September 27, 2026, Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary time (The Fair way)

Homily: February 22-2026, First Sunday of Lent (Angles)