Homily: September 11, 2026, Friday of the Twenty-Third Sunday in Ordinary Time (Slave to all)
“No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher.”
These words of Jesus give us a beautiful description of Christian discipleship. The word Christian means someone who belongs to Christ, someone who follows Christ. And the goal of discipleship is not simply to know more about Jesus, but gradually to become like Jesus.
The Twelve walked with Jesus, listened to him, watched him, and learned from him. And eventually, their lives began to resemble the life of their Master. Jesus himself told them, “Learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.”
Perhaps humility was one of the hardest lessons for the disciples to learn—and it remains one of the hardest lessons for us.
In today’s first reading, St. Paul says something remarkable: “Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible.”
Paul was free, but he willingly surrendered his freedom. He put aside his pride, his preferences, and even his own comfort for the sake of the Gospel. Why? Because he wanted to win others for Christ.
And Paul learned this from his Teacher.
In his Letter to the Philippians, Paul writes about Jesus: “He emptied himself, taking the form of a slave.” This is how Christ saved the world—not through power, pride, or self-importance, but by emptying himself. He humbled himself. He served. He gave himself completely, even to death on the Cross.
And so the question for us today is very simple: How much am I willing to empty myself?
Can I let go of my ego? Can I let go of my need to be right, to be recognized, to have things my way? Can I sacrifice my comfort and preferences for the sake of another person and for the sake of the Gospel?
If we want to bring people to Christ, there is no other way. We cannot bring people to the humble Christ through pride. We cannot preach the servant Christ while refusing to serve. Amen
Comments
Post a Comment