Homily: September 25, 2026, Friday of the Twenty-Fifth Week in Ordinary Time (A time for everything)

 “There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for everything under the heavens.”

Yesterday I watched the movie The Lovely Bones. The movie has many flashback scenes—moments from the past suddenly coming back to life. Later in the day, when I read today’s first reading, I found myself doing the same thing: going back through different moments and seasons of my own life.

Whenever I hear this passage from Ecclesiastes, especially at a funeral Mass, memories come to mind—good times and difficult times, moments of joy and moments of sadness. Growing up, some of these images were very real to me: the season for planting and the season for harvesting. There really is a time for everything.

And it is not only the different seasons of our whole life. Even a single day can contain so many different emotions.

Those who regularly make an examination of conscience know this very well. At the end of the day, we look back: there was a moment when I was happy; a moment when I was frustrated; a moment when I was grateful; perhaps a moment when I failed; a moment when someone showed me kindness; a moment when I experienced God’s presence.

And look around this church today. We are all here together, but each of us comes carrying a different story. Someone may be very happy today. Someone else may be worried. Someone may be grieving. Someone may be waiting for an answer. Someone may be beginning something new, while another person may be coming to the end of something.

“There is an appointed time for everything.”

But there is also something very important hidden in these words: none of these seasons lasts forever.

The good times change. The difficult times change. Success does not last forever. Neither does failure. Our circumstances change. Our bodies change. The people around us change. Eventually, our earthly life itself comes to an end.

And perhaps that is why this reading invites us to ask a deeper question: If everything around me changes, what does not change? What can I hold on to forever?

That question leads us to God.

Our changing life should make us desire what is eternal. It should make us, as St. Paul says, “seek what is above.” God offers us something this changing world cannot give us permanently: eternal life in his presence.

There, the seasons no longer change. There is no time to mourn and another time to rejoice, no time to lose and another time to gain. There is only the fullness of life—peace, joy, and love in the presence of the God who has loved us through every season of our lives.

So whatever season you are going through today, remember: this season is not forever. But God is.

The God who was with us yesterday is with us today, and he will be with us tomorrow.

“There is an appointed time for everything.” And through every time and every season, God remains.


Comments

Read

Homily: September 20, 2026, Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Come to my Vineyard)

Homily: September 21, 2026, Mass of Healing and Remembrance for those who died by Suicide

Homily: September 18, 2023, Monday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Men should pray)

Homily: September 19, 2026, Saturday of the Twenty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Generous God)

Homily: September 18, 2018, Friday of the Twenty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Hope in Heaven)

Homily: September 21, 2026, Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist (Follow me)

Homily: September 15, 2026, Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows.

Homily: June 21, 2025, Saturday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (Sufficient Grace)

Homily: September 10, 2026, Thursday of the Twenty-Third week in Ordinary Time (Ordination Anniversary)

Homily: June 27, 2025, MSolemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.