Homily: The Sixth Day in the Octave of Christmas, Thursday, December 30, 2021

 For readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/123021.cfm

“She never left the temple, but worshipped night and day with fasting and prayer”.

Look at Anna, the prophetess’ life of worship and dedication, isn’t it beautiful and inspiring? Have you ever met someone who prays day and night like her?

I have.

On Monday I shared about my grandma who died 25 years ago. I was only eight years old then so I do not have much memory of her life, but one very vivid and lasting impression I have of her, is that she was a prayerful person. I almost always see her praying the rosary, day and night, whenever she was not doing any chores. It was a green rosary which one bishop gave her some years before.

And you know what? Grandma was completely blind. She had never seen me and my younger siblings before. Yet, she taught us how to pray and would lead the family morning prayers. She helped with the household chores, with chopping vegetables. She would even make brooms for us using coconut leaves.

She was a simple lady, simple life but with strong faith. I have never heard her complain about her life despite her blindness. I always wondered what she was praying for, since she spent so much time on it. I learnt later that she prayed for everyone and everything. She was simply connecting with God all the time. Like Anna who ‘never left the temple’, my grandma was never without the presence of God.

St. Paul reminds us, “For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

We have received the spirit of adoption. God is our Father, and when we keep connected with Him often, we can see what He sees. That was how Anna could recognize that baby Jesus was the long-awaited Messiah.

So, do you want to see and feel God in your life? Then do what Anna did, do what my grandma did, pray always, unceasingly, night and day. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent

Homily: September 25, 2022, Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily Third Sunday in Ordinary time: 1/23/22

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.