Funeral Homily: Anna Gomes (103), Thursday January 20, 2022

 Anna lived 103 years and God arranged me to encounter her in the last five months of her life. I first met Anna in September 2021. I had just moved to this parish and was having a stressful two months trying to resolve many pressing issues. When I was asked to visit her, I just went without expecting anything more than the usual anointing, blessing and go. I got into Anna’s room in University Park Nursing Home, it was the first time she had seen me and I was wearing a mask, so she gave me a suspicious look, wondering who this stranger was.

I pointed to my roman collar and immediately her eyes lit up like an excited little girl. Yet, in her grandmotherly way, she commanded me, “Take off your mask!” and I did. She looked at me so tenderly and smiled like she was seeing her favorite grandson. What followed was the most joyful conversation I ever had with someone I met for the first time. I did not even notice how long we talked. I felt so relaxed, joyful and loved.

That first meeting left a deep impression on me. It broke the serious mood I had since moving here. And I wanted to see Anna more often. I continued visiting her almost every week.

Anna had an amazing God-given ability to read people’s face. One time, she looked at my face intently and said some things about me which were so accurate. I had to put on my mask quickly before she revealed all my dark secrets. 

On another occasion, she looked at my face again and remarked, “You are too young to be leading this big church.” I agreed. But after a moment of deep thought, she repeated a few times, “You will make it, you will make it”. Her words affirmed me and helped me get through that very difficult period in my ministry.

I truly miss our fun conversations, the many stories shared, her motherly hugs and grandma blessings. It is so so hard to say good-bye to such a wonderful person like Anna. My encounter with her helped me through some tough times, encouraged me and simply refreshed me on stressful days.

I found three beautiful qualities in Anna. She was a kind lady full of joy, full of prayer and full of gratitude.

First, Anna was a joyful soul. I cannot imagine being at her age, dependent on others for daily basic care and still looking happy, smiling and laughing freely. Her one and only complaint was that she could not walk. It was not self-pity but rather her self-reproach for having to trouble others to bring her around.

Second, Anna was a prayerful woman. Whenever I take the pyx out of my pocket to give her communion, her eyes would open wide with great delight. She loved Jesus in the Eucharist. She was a true Catholic till the end. Her connection with God was not in doing devotional prayer but in giving thanks to God always. To her, every moment, everything, and everyone was God’s blessing in her life.

Third, Anna was a grateful person. She was so grateful to everyone in her life, those who cared for her, the long life God gave her and she repeatedly thanked me for bringing communion to her.

Her eyes would well up in tears when talking about the people who helped her, she remembers everyone, God gave her a sharp memory. I am sure she will not forget us when she enters the heavenly kingdom.

At this point, I would like to specially mention Sol and Maria Rosenbaum, Samol Thalng and St Vincent de Paul society. Anna was very very grateful to all of you and told me often how she felt very blessed by God through your love, care, regular visits and prayer.

I am very inspired by your dedication to journey with Anna on her last walk in life, including arranging this funeral for her. Special appreciation to Maria, who is still mourning the loss of your own mother just two weeks ago.

You are special friends of Anna and faithful disciples of Christ. You fed the hungry, gave drink to the thirsty, comforted the lonely and now you bury the dead. All these you did to Anna, you did also to our Lord. The rewards for your works of mercy, acts of love, will be great.

Funeral homilies are not preached to the deceased, it is for all of us who are still alive and have witnessed the lives of our departed brothers and sisters. By recalling how they lived, we marvel at their faithfulness to the end and learn how we too can lead spiritually full and pleasing lives.

Anna lived a long and fulfilling life. Born in Moruga, Trinidad, then moved to Canada and finally settled in Des Moines. There were probably struggles and sufferings along the way but she died in peace, with her husband Anselmo by her side, as peaceful as she had wished.

When the Lord wakes her for eternity, I can just imagine the same eyes open wide, looking intently at Jesus’ face and giving Him the brightest smile ever. She will be so happy to see Him.

Today’s Gospel reminds us, “This is the bread that came down from heaven.  Unlike your ancestors who ate and died nonetheless, those who feed on this bread shall live forever.” Anna fed joyfully on the Holy Eucharist while alive on earth, she will surely live forever in heaven.

As Anna’s friends and family, we lament our loss but rejoice at her entry into heaven.

Till we meet again in paradise, good-bye for now, Anna.

Fr. Nivin Scaria 

Comments

Read

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: April 30, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week of Easter (Power over Satan)

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: September 28, 2022 Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (For children)

Homily Third Sunday in Ordinary time: 1/23/22

Homily: July 12, 2022, Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: September 26, 2022, Monday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time.