Homily: January 18, 2022, Tuesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time.

 Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/011822.cfm

“Take no notice of his appearance or his height for I have rejected him; God does not see as man sees; man looks at appearances but the Lord looks at the heart.”

These words of God are so assuring. If God were to choose based on appearances and height, I would never have made it to priesthood.

But the world chooses differently.

When I was doing my seminary studies in Rome, I used to go to Germany for summer jobs. I was poor and my home diocese could not afford to give seminarians who studied overseas any allowances, so I worked during the vacation to earn pocket money for my daily expenses.

During my first vacation stint, I got a job with a car factory in Munich which produced the BMW cars. Our job was to do summer cleaning of the factory.

On the first day of work, they lined up all student workers according to our heights and weights. I was so skinny at that time, so I was almost last in line. Then the work was assigned.  Those guys who were bigger, had to work with heavy tools like hammers and drills the whole day. And the small guys like me, had a chisel to clean greasy chains. If I were to work there now, I am sure they I would give me the heavy hammers.

The work was assigned on the assumption that physical strength corresponds to physical weight and height. In this world, many judgements are based on physical attributes.

Same with prophet Samuel. He anointed Saul based on that and Saul turned to be one of worst kings of Israel. For the next king, Samuel was also looking for strength and stature in the physical appearances of Jesse’s sons. But God was looking for something else. 

God looked deeper and saw in young boy David, a heart of love and sincerity, a willingness to serve God and to please Him. So, he was anointed. David was not perfect and made some terrible mistakes, but he repented sincerely and asked for mercy. He remained faithful to God. With God’s blessings, king David established peace in his kingdom, united all the tribes of the Israelites and founded Jerusalem. 

No one would have thought that the small youngest boy of Jesse would turn out to be the greatest king of Israel.

Do we also see smallness in simple people and think big of great-looking folks? Remember, God sees the heart and can work wonders through anyone He chooses, regardless of shape, size or standing in life. It is now how we look on the outside, but how we love on the inside that makes us God’s best choice. So don’t worry about looking good but work on loving well. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: April 30, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week of Easter (Power over Satan)

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: September 28, 2022 Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (For children)

Homily: July 12, 2022, Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: September 26, 2022, Monday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: March 23, 2022, Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: June 30, 2023, Friday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: July 11, 2023, Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Namesake)