Homily: February 16, 2022, Wednesday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

 Fro Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/021622.cfm

St. James wrote, “Everyone should be quick to hear, slow to speak”. Because many people are ‘quick to speak and slow to hear’.

People often ask me what are the challenges I face in my overseas ministry to USA. My first challenge is communicating. I have a strong Indian accent which made it hard for Americans to understand me. Because of this, I have always been the last one to laugh at American jokes. At times I don’t even know what I am laughing at.

Next, most people guessed that my other challenge is food, but no, it is not. Because I eat anything and everything, even when I do not know what I am eating, I will still enjoy.

The real second challenge for me is attending meetings. The meetings in USA are so dynamic! Many people have differing opinions and are eager to express themselves fully and quickly, but I wonder how many actually listened to others. Such meetings are a challenge for me because I prefer to listen slowly, take time to think then say what I thought.

Thankfully, our God is a patient, listening God. He never tires of hearing our long prayers, repeated over, and over. But do we also listen to Him?

In today’s gospel, it is the first time Jesus needed to work twice to complete a healing miracle, because this blind man lacked faith and confidence.

Jesus had to take him away from the crowd, away from the noise so that our Lord could connect with him personally in peace, because too much noise causes confusion for a blind person.

Jesus used spittle in this healing, to give the blind man a physical sensation, that was how he experienced the world. Yet he was only partially healed at first. He was slow to see, slow to trust.

But when he was finally fully healed, Jesus was the first person he saw, what a blessing!

God is always trying to reach out to us. When we are slow in hearing, He listens to us. When we are slow in seeing, He does not give up on us but continues to help us. Let us then try to better our hearing, seeing and trusting. Amen.




Comments

Read

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: April 30, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week of Easter (Power over Satan)

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: September 28, 2022 Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (For children)

Homily Third Sunday in Ordinary time: 1/23/22

Homily: July 12, 2022, Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: September 26, 2022, Monday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time.