Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent

 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

When I was much younger, I wanted to become very rich, to have lots of money, a nice car, a big house etc.… It was a common village boy’s dream. I don’t think I actually prayed for it, but I surely dreamt about it often.

What happened thereafter? Well, I am still dreaming about it. And I even pray for it now! Not for myself but for the parish. When I first moved to this parish, I was shocked by the financial situation, so I did wish and pray for this parish to be rich. 

Money is indeed helpful in life but not the most important. Money solves a lot of problems only when it is used wisely. Being poor helps me learn to depend on God’s providence. So, my dream for the parish now is to be rich in God’s word, in community life, in prayerful spirit, in loving and caring for one another. I dream of hearing our prayers and singing rise-up strong and joyful to the heavens when we gather to praise and worship God.

Ask and it will be given you. I am glad God did not give me what I asked for in my youth but gave me an appreciation of a simple life. I am glad God did not give me a rich parish but gave me the warmth and love of a humble parish.

Ask and you will be given, not always what you wish for but what God wishes for you. And His wish is the best.


Comments

  1. One of my friends wrote this on her Facebook page as her reflection for Today's Gospel.

    "I asked and I asked, but not always do I get what I asked for. Does this happen to you too? Then I understood. When I became a mother, I understood so much more. My daughters asked for a lot when they were cute little ones. Often they did not get what they asked for, but got what I decided was better for them. If I, who am foolish, know how to give what is best for my kids, how much better would my wise God give what is truly good for me…not always what I asked for".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is familiar! As my kids grew up, I noticed they are asking less from me. My older girl responded, "Ma, that's because now we know better what to ask for, what is pointless to ask for and what we better not even mention." Maybe that is the same with our petitions to God? Thank you Fr. Nivin for your wonderful homily blog! God bless you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Read

Homily: April 22, 2024 Monday of the fourth week of Easter (Uncircumcized).

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily: October 31, 2022, Monday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time (Vain Glory).

Homily: March 6, 2022, First Sunday of Lent

Homily: September 25, 2022, Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: March 25, 2024, Monday of the Holy week (Servant songs).