Homily: April 2, 2022, Saturday of the Fourth Week of Lent.

 “Let us destroy the tree in its vigour; let us cut him off from the land of the living, so that his name will be spoken no more.”

Two years ago, I got a stem of curry leaf plant from Texas. I was so excited about growing it. I bought a big pot and planted it nicely. I kept it indoors all winter and when it began to grow some leaves, I brought it outdoors. It was growing slowly but surely. I enjoyed observing its growth and keeping count of the new leaves sprouting daily. Every leaf that appeared gave me great joy.

Then an Indian friend came to visit one day. He saw my precious plant and murmured in disbelief, “Is this how you grow curry leaves??”

Before I could respond, he swiftly broke off all the small branches in the middle and cut off all the leaves. My heart cried out in great pain when I saw that! My beloved plant, each precious leaf which I knew and loved so well is gone! I was so sad, angry and shocked that I could not say anything. There was nothing I could do by then. I was weeping inside.

Next few days I experienced a sense of loss, looking at the bare plant, there’s no more leaves to count. Then after those few days of grief, suddenly I saw numerous tiny branches sprouting, and fresh new leaves were growing out. Within just a few weeks, the leaves doubled. It was growing fast and furious!

So it is true that pruning allows what’s left to blossom into something beautiful. Similarly for our life, bad things must be cut off so that energy and attention can be given to the right things. It can be painful at first, but the end-result will be a healthy tree bearing abundant fruits.

The Pharisees and Jewish elders thought that if they cut Jesus off from the land of the living, his name will be forgotten forever.

Now more than 2000 years later, 2.2 billion people in the Catholic and other christian churches follow him and many more continue to proclaim his name powerfully. This is proof that no one can ever cut off God’s will from life, nor stop God’s plan from fruition. 

John 15:2 reminds us, “Every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.”

The tree of faith will only bear fruits in abundance because God is the faithful gardener. Let us trust Him and be patient when we suffer some pains of pruning.


Comments

  1. haha, thank you for sharing about your curry leave plant. I am no good for gardening but my daughter did plant growing project for school and she behaved exactly as you described. She was counting the leaves daily, and even cried when one leave was accidentally torn! may God prune us so gently and be patient with us if we are slow to grow...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Read

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent

Homily: September 25, 2022, Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily Third Sunday in Ordinary time: 1/23/22

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.