Homily: May 15, 2022, Fifth Sunday of Easter.

 Jesus says, “I give you a new commandment: love one another.”
Why is this a new commandment? What was the old commandment?
When I was in 8th grade, I failed to attend a one-day course conducted by the diocese, because I was running a fever on that day. The following Sunday during Mass, my parish priest called out those who did not attend the course. There were three of us. He made us stand in front of the altar, with our hands raised for five minutes, to shame us in front of the congregation, to punish us for being absent. Although I had a valid excuse, he crumbled my leave of absence note and disregarded it. The three of us were so angry and felt unjustified.
After that incident, I hated that parish priest and church. A few weeks following that, I skipped Sunday Mass and went to play cricket with my friends.
Some months later, that priest was transferred out. I often recalled that incident with pain but thankfully after many years, I was able to forgive him and the hurts I felt in my heart were healed. 
The new pastor who took over was totally different. He was loving and kind to everyone. He was understanding and welcoming. I began to serve the parish as an altar boy. He was very encouraging and positive. After I finished high school, he suggested that I enter the seminary. Without that, I might not be standing here now.
So, it seems that ‘Love one another’ is not just a new commandment Jesus gave His disciples two thousand years ago. It is still a new commandment for our time.
Many among us, not excluding priests and religious, still live by the old commandment, we are following the law but not living the love. In giving the new commandment to love, Jesus was teaching His disciples that the true spirit of the law is love. He is also teaching us the same today.
Are we living out this new commandment? Is loving one another so difficult?
Jesus tells us how, “As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.” 
How does Jesus love us? I read this somewhere: “I asked God ‘How much do you love me?’ He extended his hands on the cross and said, ‘this much.’”
Jesus loves us so much that He bears the cross of our sins and dies for us. Every time we look at the crucifix, we see self-emptying, life-giving, unconditional love.
Who does Jesus love? Who does He die for?
Jesus loves and sacrifices His life for everyone, nice and not nice, educated and uneducated, clean and unclean, well and unwell. No one is left out. Everyone is invited to receive His love.
And Jesus says we should love one another this same way. Is it possible? Can you do it? Can I do it?
With my own individualistic, selfish ways, I can’t. I can’t even love my own family unconditionally through my own efforts. I need God’s grace. Jesus can do it, so He can help me do it too.
But why should we love one another, especially those who are so very hard to love?
Jesus tells us why, “This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Through the church’s history, people have left the faith due to many reasons, but commonly, it is all because the church leaders failed to follow this commandment of love.
A man went to Sunday Mass. His phone suddenly rang during prayers. He had forgotten to silence it. The Pastor rebuked him during Mass. The other worshippers admonished him after Mass. His wife lectured him on the way home. One small mistake became a big shame, embarrassment, and humiliation.
He decided never to step foot into the church again.
That evening, he went to a bar feeling sad about himself. He was still trembling from all the emotional beatings. Accidentally, he spilled his drink, bottle fell and broke. Another disaster for the day. Someone rushed towards him. He closed his eyes expecting another round of bashing. Instead, he was asked, “bro, are you ok?”
The waiter apologized and helped to clean up. The lady manager offered him a complimentary drink, gave him an assuring hug and said, "Don't worry man. Who doesn't make mistakes?" He has not stopped going to that bar ever since.
1 Corinthians 13:4–8, ‘Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.’
Do you love?
How do you love?
Are you a disciple of Christ?


Comments

Read

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily: June7, 2023, Wednesday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time (Pray Hardest).

Homily: November 20, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Hope).

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: July 12, 2022, Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: March 23, 2022, Wednesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: June 30, 2023, Friday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: July 11, 2023, Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Namesake)