Homily: May 18, 2022, Wednesday of the fifth week of Easter.

 “Remain in me as I remain in you.”

The word ‘remain’ is repeated eight times in today’s Gospel text.

I am not big on sports. When I first came to USA, I was introduced to baseball, and very quickly recruited into the Chicago Cubs as a follower. I knew nothing about baseball, other than it is similar to cricket which I used to play in India. So, I was an ignorant new Cub fan.

Within the first few weeks of my ‘enrolment’, I found out there is another baseball team ‘Cardinal’. Some parishioners suggested that I switch. They reasoned that the name ‘Cardinal’ sounds more Catholic!

But my Cub introducer advised me sternly, “Father, Once a cub, always a cub. Remain.”

And to seal that ‘covenant’, he gave me a little cubby. Yes, till today, I have remained a cub.

What does it mean to ‘remain’?

Collins dictionary defines it as: ‘stay’, ‘continue’, ‘do not change’.

That is what our Lord wants of us, to stay with Him, continue with Him, do not change our following.

But note that He says, ‘remain IN me’, not ‘WITH me’. So more than just keeping ourselves beside our Lord, He wants us to be inside of Him, united and one.

Why?

Jesus explains, “Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.”

The truth is, we are nothing without God. On our own, we cannot bear good fruit that lasts.

Without food and nutrition, our bodies cannot survive or grow. And so, without Jesus, without the Word of God, our souls will wither and die.

Let us not detract, let us not separate. Remain in the Lord as He remains in us. Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. Amen.

Fr. Nivin Scaria


Comments

Read

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: January 24, 2023, Tuesday of the Third week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: September 28, 2022 Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (For children)

Homily: September 26, 2022, Monday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: June 30, 2023, Friday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: July 11, 2023, Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Namesake)

Homily: April 18, Monday in the Octave of Easter.

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time