Homily: May 18, 2022, Wednesday of the fifth week of Easter.

 “Remain in me as I remain in you.”

The word ‘remain’ is repeated eight times in today’s Gospel text.

I am not big on sports. When I first came to USA, I was introduced to baseball, and very quickly recruited into the Chicago Cubs as a follower. I knew nothing about baseball, other than it is similar to cricket which I used to play in India. So, I was an ignorant new Cub fan.

Within the first few weeks of my ‘enrolment’, I found out there is another baseball team ‘Cardinal’. Some parishioners suggested that I switch. They reasoned that the name ‘Cardinal’ sounds more Catholic!

But my Cub introducer advised me sternly, “Father, Once a cub, always a cub. Remain.”

And to seal that ‘covenant’, he gave me a little cubby. Yes, till today, I have remained a cub.

What does it mean to ‘remain’?

Collins dictionary defines it as: ‘stay’, ‘continue’, ‘do not change’.

That is what our Lord wants of us, to stay with Him, continue with Him, do not change our following.

But note that He says, ‘remain IN me’, not ‘WITH me’. So more than just keeping ourselves beside our Lord, He wants us to be inside of Him, united and one.

Why?

Jesus explains, “Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.”

The truth is, we are nothing without God. On our own, we cannot bear good fruit that lasts.

Without food and nutrition, our bodies cannot survive or grow. And so, without Jesus, without the Word of God, our souls will wither and die.

Let us not detract, let us not separate. Remain in the Lord as He remains in us. Once a Catholic, always a Catholic. Amen.

Fr. Nivin Scaria


Comments

Read

Homily: September 21, 2026, Mass of Healing and Remembrance for those who died by Suicide

Homily: September 20, 2026, Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Come to my Vineyard)

Homily: July 28, 2023, Friday of the sixteenth week in Ordinary time (First commandment).

Homily: August 15, 2026, Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sin-death)

Homily: September 4, 2026, Friday of the Twenty second Week in Ordinary Time (Do not Judge)

Homily: September 19, 2026, Saturday of the Twenty-Fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Generous God)

Homily: April 2, 2024, Tuesday in the Octave of Easter (Mary at the Tomb).

Homily: September 25, 2026, Friday of the Twenty-Fifth Week in Ordinary Time (A time for everything)

Homily: September 27, 2026, Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary time (The Fair way)

Homily: February 22-2026, First Sunday of Lent (Angles)