Homily: May 8, 2022, Fourth Sunday of Easter.

 Jesus said: “My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”

I grew up in a farm. We grew spices and we also had cows. I had a favourite cow. She was born when I was in kindergarten and I claimed her as my personal cow. Her name was Manikutty, which roughly means ‘little sweetie girl’. All our cows were named. Whenever I called out to Manikutty, she would respond and show me love and affection. I played with her every day after school, talked to her and gave her special treats like bananas. She trusted me and would follow if I led her somewhere.

If a simple cow could respond to her young master’s call, and sheep know their shepherd’s voice from a stranger, would we intelligent humans be able to recognise our true master’s voice, from the noises of the world?

Jesus also said, “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand.”

When I was in second grade, Manikutty gave birth to her first calf. Things changed from then. She was not producing milk as my papa expected. And there were other reasons I did not understand. We could not keep her longer. My papa decided to sell her. My heart broke. I never saw her again in my life. I loved my cow, my little sweetie girl. If I were older and could make my own decision, I would never have given her away even if she was not producing milk nor useful anymore. She was my cow, no matter what.

If a young farm boy could love his little cow so much, if you could love your pets so truly, how much more would our loving God love and sacrifice for us, even if we were not good enough for Him?

If we could have our way, I am sure we would choose for our pets to live forever with us. I would want that for Manikutty too.

God wants the same for us. Jesus wants us to share eternal life with Him, never to perish. And He has a way for that. No matter how much He had to suffer for it, He was willing. And He did it.

Romans 5;8 says, ‘While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.’

After all that He has gone through for us, do you think He would give us up easily?

No way.

Jesus continued, “My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.”

Our heavenly Father loves His Son, our Lord. He gave the world to Jesus. If Jesus would never give us up, would our heavenly Father let anyone take us away from Jesus?

Impossible.

Jesus concluded this Gospel passage with the affirmation, “The Father and I are one.”

This tells us that Jesus is God. His love is faithful. His words are true. His works do not fail. Nothing is impossible to God, to Jesus.

Jesus, the good shepherd is the only one whom we can trust, even when we fail and sin. He knows us, our faults and weaknesses, yet He wants us.

Only through Him can we find true peace, assurance and protection. He will feed us real food, lead us to goodness and save us for eternity with Him. He will never let go of us, as long as we believe in Him and follow Him.

Today’s gospel and second reading from the book of Revelation were both written by St. John. He wrote while he was in exile in the island of Patmos. There was great persecution against the Christians, many died in brutal martyrdom. John wrote for these persecuted communities, to encourage them and keep them focused on the Lord, on the rewards of Heaven.

The first reading states ‘The disciples were filled with joy and the Holy Spirit’.

How could they have joy amidst persecutions? Because of faith and trust in their Good Shepherd.

St. Paul’s words came to mind, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”   

How wonderful and assuring. Nothing can separate us from the love of God, not even our sins, our wrongs, our weaknesses. Because our master is the Good Shepherd, He will never let go of His sheep. Amen.

Fr. Nivin Scaria 

Comments

Read

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: January 24, 2023, Tuesday of the Third week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: September 28, 2022 Wednesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (For children)

Homily: July 12, 2022, Tuesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: September 26, 2022, Monday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: June 30, 2023, Friday of the Twelfth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: July 11, 2023, Tuesday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Namesake)

Homily: April 18, Monday in the Octave of Easter.