Homily: August 14, 2022, Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 “I have come to set the earth on fire.”

“Do you think that I have come to establish peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.”

Jesus has told us He is meek and humble of heart, and we should learn from Him. We call Him the ‘Prince of peace’ and he prayed for us, “Father, that they may be one as we are one.”

So, why would he want to set fire? Why would He cause division?

First, the fire which Jesus wants to set for the earth is not a destructive fire, but that of the Holy Spirit. It is a purifying, sanctifying fire.

Second, Jesus came to preach the truth, but many do not want to accept the truth. Those who reject will oppose those who accept. This is the division caused by hardness of the heart and blindness of the mind. Only when all have accepted the truth, then the world will be of one heart and mind, united and at peace.

In this world we see divisions everywhere. Those of us who follow Jesus’ teachings become enemies of the world. Because the worldly ways and values are not God’s ways.

In India, we priests get called in very often to settle home disputes between mothers-in-law and daughters-in-law. But to set the record right, they were against each other not because one party wanted to follow Jesus. It was because both parties were not following Jesus’ way. Priests are called in to mediate, but often it felt like exorcism.

Recently a friend told me that two of his sons left the church because of their wives. If the sons had insisted on following their religion, their marriages might just break. One party has to give in. And it is easier to give up on church than to fight against the world.

But are we cheating ourselves - to trade eternal peace for temporal harmony?

In the first reading, prophet Jeremiah was thrown into a cistern because he prophesied against Israel. He proclaimed as the Lord commanded. He did not compromise his mission just to please the king for fear of his own safety. He accepted persecution for the sake of truth. And he had peace, not peace with the world, nor peace with men, but he had interior peace, peace with God.

That is why the apostles were not afraid of opposition, suffering or death. The martyrs did not fear when they chose faith in the face of tortures. What gave them strength and courage are the fire of the Holy Spirit and the true peace of Christ.

It may seem difficult, but we too can have the same strength and courage. When we say ‘yes’ to Jesus and ‘no’ to the world, we too will receive the fire. We may experience division in our worldly relationships, but we will find peace with God.

The second reading encourages us that “since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us”. We are not alone in running this race.

There was a pond in my family farm which was 20 feet deep. For a long time, I didn’t dare to swim because I was afraid of drowning. But my brother and all my friends were having so much fun swimming. I wanted the same. I had to do it.

Then one day, I simply jumped in, struggled a few moments and sank. My brother and friends saved me. I kept trying and every time, they saved me, until finally, I struggled across the pond successfully. After a few more successes, I could really swim. I found my freedom by facing my fears. I could do that because I knew my brother and friends were there to rescue me if I did not make it. I was not alone.

Be not afraid to turn against the world and follow Jesus. Be not afraid to get rid of the burden of sin, and race ahead in holiness. Be not afraid to bear temporal divisions for the sake of eternal peace. Because we are not alone.

We are surrounded by clouds of witnesses. There are thousands of canonised saints and millions of unknown saints who went before us, who made the same choice. They are there to intercede for us, to help us, to save us. Let us not be afraid to let the fire of Christ come down into our lives. Amen.

Fr. Nivin Scaria
Rector, 
St. Ambrose Cathedral
Des Moines 

Comments

Read

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent

Homily: September 25, 2022, Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: April 7, 2022, Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent