Homily: September 11, 2022, Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 “I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.” 

Do you think you need repentance? Or do you feel you are righteous, without any sin?

After many decades of feeling self-righteous, a man finally decided to go for confession. But he really did not know what to confess. So the priest tried to help him by asking him questions according to the ten commandments. At one point, the priest asked, “Do you entertain impure thoughts?”

To which the man immediately replied, “No no, I don’t entertain them but they entertain me.”

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is one of the seven sacraments of the church, efficacious signs of grace, through which the divine life is given. It is a sacrament for healing, the healing of the soul, mind and body.

Every Wednesday and Saturday, Fr. Ambrose and I hear many confessions. We also get many appointments from people who want to confess. It is one of my favourite sacraments to administer. I rejoice as heaven rejoices, over one and many returning souls. It is possibly the one sacrament which makes me feel humbled as well as inspired.

I am humbled because every confession I hear makes me feel much more sinful than the person confessing. And every absolution I dispense makes me feel more assured of God’s mercy and love.

At every confession, I often witness so many sad, ashamed and downcast souls walking in, then becoming joyful, uplifted and shining saints walking out. Many people walk away from the confessional renewed, redeemed, rescued and reconciled.

The confessional is like a magic box, anyone who comes through it becomes holier, brighter and better. Yet, making the decision to approach this magic box can be difficult for those who have stayed away too long.

As a priest, I tell you very honestly now, that we do not despise anyone who comes with a contrite heart to confess, no matter how grave the sin. What is hard to accept are those who come for confession still prideful and unrepentant. Instead of admitting wrong, they come to declare the sins of others or to blame God.

But if anyone comes sincerely to repent, it is true that there is much rejoicing. If I, a sinner myself, can feel joy for someone who is truly sorry for his sins, I can only imagine the shouts of joy in heaven.

So if you have been delaying going for reconciliation, I encourage you to receive this sacrament soon. God is searching for you, His lost sheep, His lost coin. He has been waiting for you like the father waiting for the return of his prodigal son. Give God, and give your soul and the angels in heaven something to rejoice in. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily April 29, Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

Homily: April 30, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week of Easter (Power over Satan)

Homily: June16, 2023, Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (Jesus Yoke)

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent