Homily: September 27, 2022, Tuesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (Memorial of of St. Vincent de Paul)

“Job opened his mouth and cursed his day. Job spoke out and said: Perish the day on which I was born, the night when they said, “The child is a boy!” 

Job was so upset that he wished he was never born! I can fully understand how Job felt. He had been faithful, he had lived right but he had lost everything in his life, including his own health. He had nothing left. He had every reason to curse, to complaint.

Recently I visited a mom whose son took his own life. She was lamenting and crying her heart out to God. She cursed her life, complained to God and questioned Him why He allowed this tragedy to happen.

In my own troubled moments when nothing is going right, I too wonder, “Why did God create me?” Why send me to this world to go through hardship then bring me back again? He could have just kept me in heaven.

When everything go wrong, won’t we also think that life is meaningless?

Even though I don’t have the perfect explanation, I find my consolation in the cross of Christ, looking at the crucified Jesus, the sacrificial lamb of God. Why did God come to suffer? Why did he take the cross? Why go through torture and death? Could there be an easier way?

This much I know. I am saved through His suffering. You are saved through His death. This is the truth. This is the good news.

Jesus’ answer is clear and certain, there is victory only through the cross. It is a difficult concept to accept, but once we embrace, we will be graced.

Jesus, give me the grace to bless when I am tempted to curse. 

Jesus, give me the wisdom to follow you when I am tempted to walk my way. 

Jesus, give me the courage to carry the cross when I am tempted to avoid it.

Amen!


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Read

Homily: September 21, 2026, Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist (Follow me)

Homily: October 4, 2026, Twenty Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time (No Anxiety)

Homily: September 27, 2026, Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary time (The Fair way)

Homily: October 3, 2026, Saturday of the Twenty Sixth Week in Ordinary Time (God Restores)

Homily: April 2, 2024, Tuesday in the Octave of Easter (Mary at the Tomb).

Homily: May 29, 2026 Wednesday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: October 5, 2026, Monday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time (Repay you on my way back)

Homily: July 21, 2026, Tuesday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Forgiveness)

Homily: February 6, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week in Ordinary time (Solomon Failed)

Homily: August 15, 2026, Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sin-death)