Homily: September 27, 2022, Tuesday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time (Memorial of of St. Vincent de Paul)

“Job opened his mouth and cursed his day. Job spoke out and said: Perish the day on which I was born, the night when they said, “The child is a boy!” 

Job was so upset that he wished he was never born! I can fully understand how Job felt. He had been faithful, he had lived right but he had lost everything in his life, including his own health. He had nothing left. He had every reason to curse, to complaint.

Recently I visited a mom whose son took his own life. She was lamenting and crying her heart out to God. She cursed her life, complained to God and questioned Him why He allowed this tragedy to happen.

In my own troubled moments when nothing is going right, I too wonder, “Why did God create me?” Why send me to this world to go through hardship then bring me back again? He could have just kept me in heaven.

When everything go wrong, won’t we also think that life is meaningless?

Even though I don’t have the perfect explanation, I find my consolation in the cross of Christ, looking at the crucified Jesus, the sacrificial lamb of God. Why did God come to suffer? Why did he take the cross? Why go through torture and death? Could there be an easier way?

This much I know. I am saved through His suffering. You are saved through His death. This is the truth. This is the good news.

Jesus’ answer is clear and certain, there is victory only through the cross. It is a difficult concept to accept, but once we embrace, we will be graced.

Jesus, give me the grace to bless when I am tempted to curse. 

Jesus, give me the wisdom to follow you when I am tempted to walk my way. 

Jesus, give me the courage to carry the cross when I am tempted to avoid it.

Amen!


Comments

Post a Comment

Read

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily Third Sunday in Ordinary time: 1/23/22

Homily: June 19, 2023, Monday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time (parish Treasure)

Homily April 29, Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

Homily: April 30, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week of Easter (Power over Satan)

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent