Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

 “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.” Amen!

I remember very vividly seeing this Bible verse written across the outer wall of a Pentecostal church in the neighbouring town of my village. I was a child then and did not fully understand it.

Now I am an adult. This verse is now firmly written in my heart and mind, I can’t claim to understand its full effects, but I know this is the truth about Jesus. He is the same then, now, and forever. He has not changed and never will.

In contrast, we are the ones who have changed, and will continue to change, in our thoughts, views, values, beliefs and behaviour. Our emotions also change. And that affects many relationships.

Think about your relationships with your parents, children, spouses, friends – have they changed in the way they treat you, love you, connect with you?

Have you changed? For better or for worse?

We change because we are not consistent. We change because we grow. We change because we are not yet the full version of what God intends us to be.

Because of our inconsistencies, we feel we can never fully trust another person, we do not feel the security of knowing anyone completely.

But God is consistent. He is firm. He is steady. He is constant. He does not change. Jesus, the Son of God, says, “I will never forsake you or abandon you.”

And for this, we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper, and I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?”

Jesus, I trust in You! Amen.

Fr. Nivin Scaria 


Comments

Read

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 10, 2022, Thursday of the First Week in Lent

Homily: March 6, 2022, First Sunday of Lent

Homily: March 25, 2024, Monday of the Holy week (Servant songs).

Homily March 20, 2022, Third Sunday of Lent Year A Readings (For RCIA)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: April 11, 2023, Tuesday in the Octave of Easter (Ignorance)

Homily: May 10, 2023, Wednesday of the Fifth week of Easter (Holy family School Mass)