Homily: April 16, 2023, Second Sunday of Easter

 "Do not be unbelieving, but believe."

These are Jesus’ words to St. Thomas the Apostle, and to us. It is a strong advice, almost a warning, “Do not be unbelieving…”

Do I believe in Jesus? My answer is yes! I believe!

So, I am not unbelieving, right?

Honestly, I am not able to say an outright ‘yes’.

I do believe in Jesus, but I can’t say that I am totally unbelieving. Why?

There are many reasons why I believe - because I know for sure He died for me, He loves me, He is faithful to me, and above all, He is my Savior. He has won heaven for me. There is something deep inside me that helps me believe and trust God. I can’t really explain that deep gut feel. It is faith.

Yet, there are also many occasions when I unbelieve, I doubt, I question, I seek explanations. These are not occasions when I lose my faith, but when my faith shakes a little, and I would need some quiet time to ponder, to think, to make sense, to ask God for answers.

My papa was a faithful man, obedient, steadfast, and totally trusted God. He was a good man, generous and patient, he suffered for the good of others, silently without complaints and was joyful for it. When he was diagnosed with cancer, I could not understand, why my papa? When he died a week after, I felt my prayers and sacrifices were ignored, I could not understand, why so soon?

My papa accepted it fully and died peacefully but I struggled, I did not lose my faith but I was shaken, I felt pain and loss, sorrow and sadness. I questioned. I suffered. Because I was unbelieving.

There was a story about St. Louis de Monfort. He inspired hundreds of peasants to build a huge Crucifix on a hill. They worked hard and passionately for 15 months, finally completing the massive, splendid structure ready for blessing ceremony. But before they could do it, the government sent men to destroy the beautiful structure, believing it was built as a fortress for political opposition. Instead of being devastated and disappointed, St. Louis told the people, “We had hoped to build a Calvary here. Let us build it in our hearts. Blessed be God.”

That is total belief, without any unbelief. Total surrender, no holding back, no questions asked, no doubts.

Faith is a gift freely given to us, we did not earn it, we just receive and accept. But we need to grow it, we need to feed and nourish it, if not, it will be weak.

As I grow older and experience more hardships, go through more struggles, ask more questions, feel more pain, but never giving up or losing trust in God, I could feel my faith increasing, deepening, strengthening.

That was what Jesus’ apostles went through. While following Jesus, they believed in Him, but they had dark shadows of unbelief. It was after witnessing the horrible events of Jesus’ suffering and death, and then encountering the resurrected Lord that they gradually overcame their unbelief.

"Do not be unbelieving, but believe."

Jesus is telling not just Thomas, but all the apostles present. If they had not seen Jesus personally, like Thomas, they too would doubt and question.

Jesus wants them, and us to believe - totally.

It will not happen overnight. It takes time, maybe a whole lifetime.

As St. Peter says in the second reading, "In this you rejoice, although now for a little while you may have to suffer through various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."

Those who believe will suffer for the sake of what they believe. Our faith will be tested through suffering, pain, loss and love, but it will grow and increase in strength through constant prayer, continuing trust, and repeated surrendering to the Lord.

Faith is holding onto the Lord’s hands tighter when the earth is shaken. If we go through Calvary with Jesus, we will also experience resurrection with Him and our faith will never fear death again.

"Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." 

We believe, let it be without unbelieving. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: August 28, 2023, Monday of the twenty first week in Ordinary time (Past sins- St. Augustine