Homily: April 23, 2023, Third Sunday of Easter. (Emmaus)

 In today's gospel, the disciples on the road to Emmaus asked the stranger, "Are you the only visitor to Jerusalem who does not know of the things that have taken place there in these days?"

They did not know the stranger was Jesus. And the irony of their question was that Jesus was the only person who truly knew and understood all that had happened in Jerusalem those days. Finally, it was Jesus who explained everything from the past to the present for the disciples and helped them understand deeper and further.

In life, we might come across many strangers who just walk into our lives, make a lasting impression and then move off. Life is a long Emmaus walk. Along the way, many people come and go. We too are strangers walking into other people’s path once in a while.

Last Wednesday, our church was fully packed for the healing service. That day did not go too well for me and I decided to spend some quiet time in church after the crowds thinned out. I was feeling low and filled with negative thoughts. I wanted to surrender to the Lord and get rid of those feelings.

As I sat in one of the front pews, a man from behind me leaned forward and started talking to me. He introduced himself and asked me questions about this parish, the diocese and so on. I was not so keen to engage him at first, as I wanted some quiet time with the Lord but somehow, as we talked, I began to relax and was actually enjoying the conversation. 

After a few minutes of chatting, he offered to pray with me, I gladly accepted. As he was praying, he offered up the worries and anxieties deep in my heart which I had not mentioned to him at all. How did he know what was in my heart and mind?

Though the problems that troubled me were not resolved, but that brief encounter relieved me of stress and saved me from negativity. I felt uplifted and joyful again, I thanked my God-sent stranger who stepped into my life for that moment.

Don’t we all need that sometimes? In our low moments, when we feel disappointed and discouraged, drained and down, we hope for someone who can listen to us, empathize with us, and understand us.

The disciples on the road to Emmaus were probably going through something similar. And there came a stranger, walking with them. That stranger burned their hearts by breaking the Word of God for them. That stranger opened their eyes by breaking the Bread of Life with them.

The disciples left Jerusalem full of confusion and lost in darkness. After the encounter, they went back to Jerusalem full of joy and founded in faith.

Many preachers say, ‘This book, the Bible, is the solution to all your problems’ and ‘Jesus is the answer to all your questions’.

Indeed, if we have the Word of God and Jesus on our journey, the walk will be purposeful and well directed. We will never be confused or lost.

St. Jerome said, “Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ.”

And where is the best place to hear the Word of God proclaimed and find Jesus to walk with us?

The Eucharistic celebration of course!

The Emmaus walk is like our Eucharistic celebration. When Jesus explained the scriptures to them, it is the first part of Mass, the Liturgy of the Word. When Jesus broke bread with them, it is the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

Finally, the disciples recognized Jesus at the breaking of bread. With the Word of God, we will know everything about Jesus. But without the Holy Eucharist, we will never know Jesus personally and completely.

To live in his presence is to receive him in the Eucharist daily. Jesus wants to walk with us on our journey. He does not want to just cross our paths, but to lead us all the way beyond this life, into eternity.

Let His words burn your heart, and His bread fill your soul.

Come, Lord Jesus, come. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: March 11, 2024, Mnday of the fourth week in Lent (Need signs and wonders to believe)

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time