Meditation: April 7, 2023, Bridge churches stations of the Cross.

 Jesus promises to share his reign with the Good Thief (Luke 23:39-43)

Now one of the criminals hanging there reviled Jesus, saying, "Are you not the Messiah? Save yourself and us."

The other, however, rebuking him, said in reply, "Have you no fear of God, for you are subject to the same condemnation? And indeed, we have been condemned justly, for the sentence we received corresponds to our crimes, but this man has done nothing criminal."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He replied to him, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."

=========================

Two criminals were being crucified beside You, Jesus. We call one of them the ‘good thief’. While none of Your gospel writers described him as such, he had become known by this title because of what he said at that moment before his death.

Jesus, do you also think he was ‘good’?

I thought he was ‘lucky’ more than good, because at that last moment of his life, despite all the crimes he had committed, he was granted the greatest reward - eternal life with You in paradise.

However, there were lots of wisdom in what he said.

He rebuked the other thief who mocked You, Jesus. “Have you no fear of God” he said. That means, he himself feared God. It was an admission of faith, honor and reverence for God. At that moment facing death, he recognized Your special relationship with God. He knew that mocking You would offend God.

Do I also fear God and realize that at that very last moment of my life, I will face God who will be my judge?

Do I realize that if I mock, despise and discriminate against the vulnerable in society, I would be offending You, my Jesus?

The good thief accepted responsibility for his own actions. “The sentence we received corresponds to our crimes”. He knew he did wrong, he accepted the consequences, even death, he did not give excuses for his actions, in a deep way, he acknowledged his sins and was repentant.

Do I also admit my wrongs, confess my sins and show repentance in my life forward?

Do I accept the consequences humbly and make amends sincerely?

That thief on the cross recognized that You, Jesus, did not deserve the same punishment, he saw injustice, even though he himself was in a dying state. There are many people in this world suffering injustice like You, Lord.

Do I see and feel the injustice you suffered O Lord?

Do I see and feel the injustice around me? Do I contribute to this sin through my ignorance, irresponsible behavior or selfish attitude?

Finally, what that good thief said to You, Lord Jesus, was profound. He said, “remember me when you come into your kingdom”. He believed You are the king of eternal life, and that You, Jesus have authority and power in that kingdom, You were his Redeemer, his Savior.

Do I also live and believe that you are my Redeemer, my Savior? That you are the One to save me from my sins and grant me entrance into paradise with You?

We are all thieves in one way or another. We live this life as if we own it, without a care for the consequences of abusing it and wasting it on crimes against God, the One who gave us this life.

However, as we reflect on the ending of this thief on the cross, we can take comfort that there is always hope of redemption and assurance of forgiveness at the end of our lives. Through faith in Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of the world, the Savior of my soul, and with the grace and mercy of God, we too will be remembered and welcomed into the kingdom of Christ, the paradise of eternal life.

Do we hear Jesus saying to us, “you will be with me in paradise”?


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: November 27, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Fear of the Lord)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: March 11, 2024, Mnday of the fourth week in Lent (Need signs and wonders to believe)

Homily: July 23, 2023, Monday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Weeds- wheat)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.