Homily: May 22, 2023, Monday of the seventh week of Easter (Holy Spirit- Comforter- Gilead)

"In the world, you will have trouble, but take courage; I have conquered the world."

What Jesus says is true. We all face troubles in this world. Life in this world will have sorrows, conflicts, uncertainties, and many other challenges.

Last night, while reading and contemplating these words, I also reflected on the events of the day.

It was a remarkable Sunday as we celebrated the first communion of 42 children. More than 10 of these kids are raised by single mothers. They have experienced hardship and are still facing challenges in their lives. But they did not carry their financial burdens or brokenness on their faces. Instead, they expressed immense joy and excitement as they received Jesus for the first time.

In the afternoon, I visited a young family who recently lost their beloved mother. They are still trying to recover from this painful loss, slowly but surely. They are moving on and looking towards the future with much hope.

In the evening, I brought communion to an elderly man who recently underwent surgery. He too has his burdens and worries but he was positive and optimistic. He was looking cheerful.

What is the source of such joy? Who could help us make it through life's troubles and chaos?

I firmly believe it is the Holy Spirit, our comforter and consoler, who has been with us since the day of our baptism. We are not always conscious of His presence, in fact, we probably forget Him most of the time, but He is constantly at work on us, for us, with us. He is always ready to heal us when we are wounded, fix us when we are broken, revive us when we are low, lead us when we are lost.

If we are more aware of His presence, we will know how to cooperate with Him better, and so will be able to get out of our chaos and troubles easier and faster.

Last year, when I was at St. Paul Episcopal Church, I heard an old hymn first time and fell in love with it. ‘There is balm in Gilead’. When I heard the second verse especially, I felt an overpowering sensation in my soul, comforting and assuring me deeply. Allow me to sing the first two verses for you:

There is a balm in Gilead,

To make the wounded whole,

There is a balm in Gilead,

To heal the sin-sick soul.

Sometimes I feel discouraged

And think my work's in vain,

But then the Holy Spirit

Revives my soul again.

As we near Pentecost, let us increase our awareness of the Divine Comforter always present in our lives. In this world, we can’t avoid troubles, but Jesus has already conquered the world. He has also bestowed His Spirit upon us to help us face our troubles and find joy.

Let us pray:  Breathe into me, Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Move in me, Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Attract my heart, Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy. Strengthen me, Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy. Protect me, Holy Spirit, that I may always be holy.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: August 28, 2023, Monday of the twenty first week in Ordinary time (Past sins- St. Augustine