Homily: May 23, 2023 Tuesday of the seventh week of Easter (Holy spirit Guides)

 “But now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem. What will happen to me there, I do not know."

At this point in his mission journey, St. Paul already knew and accepted from divine revelations that he will suffer much hardship ahead. That was as much as he knew.

How? When? What? Who? He didn’t know at all, and he didn’t concern himself to know because he had entrusted all to the Lord. He would simply follow the Spirit’s lead.

We might have been in such life situations before.

After India gained independence in 1947, there was great famine and widespread poverty. My grandfather made a difficult but wise decision to move his family, with all eight young children, away from his native place to an unfamiliar hill countryside. He settled in a forest where Bengal tigers and king cobras lived, but the land was fertile and the water clean. He guarded and protected everyone in the family from all danger. We had a wonderful life thereafter. I grew up listening to his life stories with awe and wonder.

When I first moved to St. Ambrose two years ago, I was anxious and uncertain. It was a role too big for me, I felt incompetent and unprepared. The situation was exactly like St. Paul’s. A good friend of mine encouraged me with this quote, ‘The will of God will not take you where the grace of God will not protect you’.

Sure enough, from the very first day, I had countless challenges to handle. Many times, I thought I was a total failure. Nothing I did seemed to resolve the endless issues popping up one after another.

Again and again, I had to be reminded to trust in God. And so, I am still here, still alive, still forging on. Looking back, I realized those my struggles were nothing compared to what many of you had to deal with. 

In this parish, I see many courageous people who have walked miles through dangerous forests to run away from Burma, to escape from war and violence in Sudan and Eritrea. Those who made it out had to bear with more hardship in refugee camps. Finally, arriving in a country so different, so unfamiliar. They had to face new challenges in the hope of building a better life here. 

We all had to make difficult decisions in our lives, especially when facing major challenges. These decisions changed the course of our lives totally.

Is there someone guiding us? Yes, the Holy Spirit. Believe it or not, none of us are here together by coincidence.

Yesterday, we meditated on the Holy Spirit as our comforter. Today, we recognize the Holy Spirit as our pilgrimage guide, leading us through this journey to reach heaven. Just as the Spirit compelled Paul, He is also urging us to follow God's plan for our lives. Are we ready and willing to follow? 

As St. Augustine prayed, “Breathe into me, Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Move in me, Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Attract my heart, Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy. Strengthen me, Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy. Protect me, Holy Spirit, that I may always be holy.” Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: March 11, 2024, Mnday of the fourth week in Lent (Need signs and wonders to believe)

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time