Homily: May 30, 2023, Tuesday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time (Give to the Most High)

 "Give to the Most High as He has given to you, generously, according to your means."

When I read this, my first thoughts were about tithing and almsgiving. But when I read again and thought deeper, "Give to the Most High as He has given you"…

What has He given me?

He has given me my life, my family, an intellect and free will. Everything else is derived from these, so all that I have is from Him, my God, the Most High.

Is that all? Is it just about what He gave me for my life on earth? 

No. There is more, and it is the most important. He gave me His own life, His beloved Son, His wisdom, His will.

He wills that His beloved Son come into my world, teach me wisdom and die for me that I may have a share in His divine, eternal life.

What He has given me is a sacrifice of Himself, every day, in the Holy Eucharist. And so, the same I should give to Him, generously, according to my means.

There is a powerful quote from C.S. Lewis, “God doesn’t want something from us. He simply wants us.”

The Eucharist is God’s greatest gift of Himself. Because He wants to dwell in us. How should we respond?

Yes, receive Him generously, give Him a dwelling place in our heart so that He can live in us. He gives daily, let us too receive daily. He wants us, and He wants us to want Him.

So, let us give ourselves totally to God the Most High, just as He has given Himself totally to us.

Give Him our whole heart, not just a small corner, an occasional remembrance nor only in times of urgent need, but daily, every minute, every moment, just as He gives us His every moment.

Let us want Him in us, as much as He wants us in Him.

Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: August 28, 2023, Monday of the twenty first week in Ordinary time (Past sins- St. Augustine