Homily: June16, 2023, Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (Jesus Yoke)

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Even in the days when I was still a small child, I have carried many things on my head, literally - pots of water, food, wood, and anything that can be balanced on the head. That is the way Indians carry loads, so that our hands are free, and in a way, it is easier as we also have to walk long distances without any transport.

My parents used to take my siblings and me out to gather firewood. When we had gathered enough, my parents would take the heaviest loads while they gave each of us a smaller portion according to our strength. We would balance the stack of firewood on our heads and walk home.

We carried hay for our cows and fetched pots of water from a nearby well during the hot summers. We also carried packs of rice and other groceries from the market back home. Papa always made sure to distribute the loads based on what each of us could carry. All on our heads.

Often, to show off my strength to my siblings and friends, I would try to carry more than I could handle. Finally, I ended up with severe back pain and became useless for the next few days.

In today's Gospel, Jesus’ words reminded me of my childhood. "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me... For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."

Jesus knows what we can bear, He knows our strengths and weaknesses, He would not give us what is beyond us. But so often, we feel burdened and overwhelmed with work and responsibilities, could we be carrying the wrong load, the wrong way?

Jesus says, "Take MY yoke upon you…”

The truth is many of us very often carry unnecessary burdens for years and years. They are not the yoke from Jesus, but baggage from our past, bondage from our sins, heavy emotions from our unforgiveness, cold stone hearts from our pride, iron chains from our worldly ambitions.

I love this phrase from Ecclesiastes 7:29: "God made us plain and simple, but we have made ourselves very complicated."

Jesus continues to say, “…learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.”

If we learn from Jesus, to live simply and humbly, to be meek and not prideful, to love and forgive, we will be relieved, we will find rest, we will feel light.

We often think that the more we have, the happier we will be. But in truth, less is more. The less worldly things we have, the more spiritual peace we enjoy.

Do not be afraid to let go of unnecessary stuff, to declutter your life, throw away anger, hatred, fear. Carry only what is necessary: faith, hope, love. And you will see how immediately you will experience freedom and joy.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like yours. Amen.


Comments

Read

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: November 27, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Fear of the Lord)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: November 20, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Hope).

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: May 11, 2024, saturday of the sixth week of Easter (In Jesus' name).

Homily: April 20, 2024 Saturday of the third week of Easter (True peace).