Homily: July 16, 2023, Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

 "And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky ground, where it had little soil…"

How many of you do gardening or farming?

When you start planting, would you scatter seeds everywhere like this sower  in the parable?

I see most of you shaking your heads. Yeah, I agree. Even as a little boy, when I heard this parable, I could not understand the man who sowed the seeds in this parable Jesus told. Because I grew up in the farm and knew that we would never waste precious seeds this way, we would be careful to make sure every seed is sown on good soil so that we can get maximum yield at harvest time.

We would never scatter any seed on the path, on rocky ground, or among the thorns, because we know that no plant could grow from these places. You need good soil for the seed to take root and grow well.

So, what is Jesus really telling us?

Let us check out today's first reading, note where it says, "Just as from the heavens, the rain and snow come down and do not return there... so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; my word shall not return to me void, but shall do my will."

The sun shines on good people and evil people the same.

The rain pours on happy people and sad people the same.

The snow falls on rich people and poor people the same.

God’s word goes forth to the saint and the sinner the same.

God does not choose where and who to shower His blessings, all are the same to Him. It is us who have to decide how and why we want to receive His blessings.

God sows His Word to the whole world, no matter how good and fertile the soil, or bad and barren the soul, God wants everyone to receive His Word. Jesus died for all.

And we who have received freely, though ourselves unworthy, are called to also share the good news of God’s compassion and mercy to everyone.

I shared previously that I used to work in a restaurant in Germany for five summers, during my seminarian vacations. My boss, Thomas, was a practicing Catholic until he turned eighteen, then he left the Church.

After work in the evenings, we would have casual conversations, often on the topic of religion. He would honestly and firmly express all his disagreements with the church and his anti-Christianity views. I always listened and remained silent because I knew I could not convince him anyway. 

He was not a bad person, in fact, he was the best boss I ever had.

Nothing he said about church changed my own religious views. I continued going to church, said my daily prayers and kept my faith.

One day, some years after my ordination, I received a request from him, to specially remember him in my prayers. That surprised me. I was glad that he believed in the power of prayer and had the faith to ask for intercession. He may not have returned to the Church, but I am sure somewhere in his seemingly barren soil, a seed was sown and found enough grace to sprout faith.

We will never know what God sees and how He is using us as His instruments for witnessing. Oftentimes, just remaining faithful and steadfast in the face of persecution is powerful enough for His grace to bring about conversion and growth. 

Seeds of love, patience, kindness, compassion, mercy, are never sown in vain. We are simply called to follow Jesus and scatter these gifts wherever we are. 

Yes, our job is to sow and not worry about the yield. God will take care of the growth and the harvest.

Jesus is the Master Sower who sows everywhere on all types of ground, so why should we, His disciples, be judgmental and selective? Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: September 10, 2024, Tuesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Deception).

Homily: September 11, 2024 Wednesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time (best attitudes)

Homily: September 16. 2024, Monday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Reason)

Homily: December 8, 2023, Solemnity of the immaculate conception of B.V. Mary.

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: The Sixth Day in the Octave of Christmas, Thursday, December 30, 2021

Homily: September 7, 2024, Saturday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time (Suffering).

Homilía: Marzo 24, 2022, Jueves de la III semana de Cuaresma.

Homilía: 23 de Octubre 2022, XXX Domingo ordinario (ES)

Homily: March 5, 2023, Second Sunday in lent (Migration- Transfiguration)