Homily: July 19, 2023, Wednesday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Who Am I ?...)

 But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt?"

Moses’ response reminds me of an action-packed movie by Jackie Chan titled, "Who Am I?"

In the movie, his character lost his memory after an accident and went through much danger and adventure to find out his identity and accomplish his mission. Along the way he had to decide who were the people he could trust.

The movie aside, back to today’s readings. I was like Moses when Bishop Joensen told me about my transfer to St. Ambrose Cathedral. I too questioned, “Who am I to take on this position? There are others better than I. I am not competent enough for this.”

Sometimes when I approach people to assist in parish projects as leaders, they shy away and are too modest to say yes. They don’t think they are capable enough.

We might be looking at ourselves and feel unworthy. We might be looking at our life and feel uneasy stepping out of our comfort zone.

But look at the many people who had said "yes" to God, like Abraham, Moses, virgin Mary, the apostles, the martyrs, the saints. They were simple folks with simple lives. Even when they had no idea where God was leading them, they gave themselves to God and through His graces, accomplished great things for the Kingdom. Humbly and innocently, they had become active participants in the work of salvation.

The greatest knowledge according to Socrates is, "Know thyself". Truly, if I do not know myself, I would not know my destiny, I would not know how to live.

So, who am I? Who are you?

We can look at our own lack of ability and say no to God. Or we can look at God’s power and promises, and recognize that we are His creation with a purpose, His children with a duty, His chosen ones with a mission. When we realize who we are, we would know how to respond to God’s call.

We should not worry about what we lack but should always look at who has our back.

When we realize who God is to us, that He will grace us, help us, empower us and provide for us, we will not shy away nor feel unworthy. And the best part is, as God assured Moses, He also assures us that "He will be with us."

So if you have been wondering about joining a ministry or serving the church in a new role, if you feel it in your heart, it could be God calling. Take courage and just do it. Don't overthink it, sometimes with God, we can be spontaneous.

By the way, I am still looking for a few more catechists and volunteers for the parish, could you be the one? Please don’t ask ‘Who am I?’ but respond, ‘I am the one’. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: September 10, 2024, Tuesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Deception).

Homily: September 11, 2024 Wednesday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time (best attitudes)

Homily: September 16. 2024, Monday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Reason)

Homily: December 8, 2023, Solemnity of the immaculate conception of B.V. Mary.

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: The Sixth Day in the Octave of Christmas, Thursday, December 30, 2021

Homily: September 7, 2024, Saturday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time (Suffering).

Homilía: Marzo 24, 2022, Jueves de la III semana de Cuaresma.

Homilía: 23 de Octubre 2022, XXX Domingo ordinario (ES)

Homily: March 5, 2023, Second Sunday in lent (Migration- Transfiguration)