Homily: August 1, 2023, Tuesday of the seventeenth week in Ordinary time.

 "The LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as one man speaks to another."

I am so envious of Moses! How wonderful to be able to have a conversation with God face to face!

It is hard to imagine how it would be like and how I would feel, knowing that God can see through all my thoughts, my sins and my fears.

Yet I have so often wished that God would speak to me like that, so that I would know His will and plans for me, and not have to feel stressed with many matters, especially with difficult decisions. Many times, during my holy hour before the tabernacle, I have begged God to speak to me and tell me clearly what He wants, but I have not heard so far.

Do you also wish to talk to God like Moses?

For that to happen, maybe we have to do what Moses did in preparation. Today’s first reading says, "So Moses stayed there with the LORD for forty days and forty nights, without eating any food or drinking any water."

Can you do that? I can’t.

If you noticed, he did the same when he was at Mount Sinai before receiving the Ten Commandments.

For the glass to be filled, it needs first to be empty. For us to hear God, we first need to be purified. We need to be still and silent, to be detached from the world’s distractions and attractions. To be totally and completely available to God.

God is speaking to us all the time, in the silence of our hearts. Like Moses, through fasting and praying, we can detach from the physical world and enter the spiritual realm where God resides. Then we may be able to hear Him.

Many mystics like St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, Edith Stein, and St. Anne Catherine Emmerich, all had their profound God experiences through deep silence.

I need to be more silent, in my mind and in my heart. Then, I should be able to hear God speak. Let us pray that we will be able to discern His voice, away from the world’s noise. Amen 


Comments

Read

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: November 27, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Fear of the Lord)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: November 20, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Hope).

Homily: July 23, 2023, Monday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Weeds- wheat)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: February 19,2024, Monday of the first week in Lent (Be Holy)