Homily: August 14, 2023, Monday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Privilage)

 “Yet in His love for your fathers, the LORD was so attached to them as to choose you, their descendants, in preference to all other peoples, as indeed He has now done.”

The more I understand my Catholic faith, the more I thank God I am a Catholic. The faith in its richness, in history and in teaching, the graces I can receive freely, the fullness of meaning and purpose it gives to my life, the saints and angels available to assist and intercede for me, and most specifically, the gift of a heavenly Mother who loves me specially and personally sees to my salvation. Not just me, but each and every one of us sealed with the mark of baptism.

As you know, I come from a country where the number of Christians, all denominations including non-denominations, make up only around 2 percent of the whole Indian population. God could have easily sent me to a different family of another religion. Just a simple flick of the finger, and I could have most definitely landed among the 80% Hindu families.

I did not choose Him. He chose me. He chose us.

Israel was a small community of people, with little privileges and fewer in number compared to many other nations around them in those days. But God chose them and blessed them abundantly with His intimate presence, fierce protection, and faithful love.

We, the new Israel, are also really privileged. God blessed us with His word, sanctify us through the seven sacraments. Right at the moment of baptism, He sealed our souls for eternity by removing the stains of original sin. Every day He feeds us with His body and blood and fills our life with His Spirit. Just like the Israelites, we are privileged to know the true, one and only living God.

I really wish that all our brothers and sisters in other religions will come to the knowledge of Christ and receive Him. They are missing out on such a precious thing in life.

Our privilege comes with a duty of love. Through our words, deeds, and authentic witness to Christ, we can lead more people to the faith, to know and love God.

The church is for evangelization, we are evangelizers. God chose us for this purpose, this is our mission. Let us today reach out to one other person who has no knowledge of God and share the good news that God loves them specially and personally. 

Amen.


Comments

Read

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: March 13, 2022, Sunday of the second Week of Lent

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: November 27, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time (Fear of the Lord)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: November 20, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Hope).

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily: May 11, 2024, saturday of the sixth week of Easter (In Jesus' name).

Homily: April 20, 2024 Saturday of the third week of Easter (True peace).