Homily: September 19, 2023, Tuesday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

 "For if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how can he take care of the Church of God?"

In the early days of the church, bishops and deacons chosen from the community could be married and had their own families. And there were situations where some of these chosen leaders of the church had neglected their families and failed in their duties as sons,  husbands and fathers. In time, the problems in their family became so detrimental that it badly affected their roles as church leaders.

Isn't it true, that if a man cannot manage his own family, how can he manage the church.

Although I don't have my own family, this phrase applies to me as well. My household is me, my prayer life, the state of my mind, my body, my emotions, my spiritual well being. Am I managing them well?

As I have shared yesterday, I aspire to develop a consistent prayer life like my grandma and papa. I also need to improve my self-care,  protect my personal time and using my off days wisely to recharge my spirit, revitalise my mind and re-energise my body. Up to now, i have too often continued to attend to many work matters even on my off days.

St. Paul's recommendation for bishops and deacons to put their households in order before tending to the Church serves as a reminder that, our private lives and public lives are interconnected. These two aspects of life need to be in harmony and balance.

This principle applies to everyone of course. We should attend to our personal well-being before caring for others. Not because of self-centredness but because it is practical wisdom.

When we travel on an airplane, the safety guidelines instruct us to put on our own oxygen masks before helping others to put on theirs. Jesus says "Love your neighbor as yourself." If we do not know how to love ourself, how can we know how to love others? If we are drowning, how can we save another?

So if we want to serve church genuinely, we must know how to serve our families, especially those who need us and our care the most. Take good care of yourself in order to take better care of others.

Amen.

Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: Thursday, June 9, Thursday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: March 11, 2024, Mnday of the fourth week in Lent (Need signs and wonders to believe)

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time