Homily: December 11, 2023, Second Monday in Advent (fear)

 “Say to those whose hearts are frightened: Be strong, fear not!”

What do you fear?

Snakes, wild animals, darkness or death? I know some people who are extremely afraid of rats or even cockroaches. I have never been afraid of any of these since young.

But when I was in third grade, my best friend's father passed away unexpectedly. That shook me hard. I could not imagine how I could ever live without my papa. That began my deepest fear and insecurity. Whenever my papa went away or was late in coming home, I would worry to the point of panic. I would pray fervently for his safe return. I would rather die than live without him.

Eventually, papa passed away at the age of 70. By then I was grown up and though I grieved deeply, I was able to move on. There were some other deep fears I had from childhood which I have outgrown. As I look back now, I understand and realize they were unnecessary fears. The shadows of fear are much larger than their reality.

Why do we fear?

We fear because we know our weakness, we know our limitations, we know there are some things which we cannot handle on our own. Faith in and reliance on someone greater and more powerful will liberate us from our fear.

That someone can only be Jesus. He is God, greater and more powerful than the world, than sin, than death.

Jesus came to liberate us from all our fears.

In today’s first reading, prophet Isaiah is telling the Israelites to be strong, be courageous, fear nothing, not even death, because “here is your God”.

If God is with us, is there anything to fear at all?

No, nothing. When we have faith in God, we will not fear. Jesus came, to dispel all the darkness that our fears have created for us. His truth will light up the way clearly for us, so we can walk on with courage.

In our latest parish newsletter, I shared a phrase I picked up from NCYC: ‘Joy over fear’. When we are free from fear, we will be full of joy. The essence of Christmas is joy.

In this second week of Advent, let us seek the grace to see clearly the life of faith we are called to live, to trust more in our God who is always with us, to stick closer to Jesus who will free us from fear, and fill us with joy.

Amen.


Comments

  1. Your homily today rang home for me as I think about Tonia and her surgery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: February 3, 2023, Friday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: Thursday, June 9, Thursday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.