Homily: December 24, 2023, Fourth Sunday of Advent (It was i).

 “It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel.” 

In the first reading, we see David, now a powerful king, wanting to build a grand dwelling place for the Lord. It may seem like King David is being pious, but God doesn’t seem impressed. Why?

David was once a shepherd boy caring for sheep in the pastures, and now he is king commanding a great and expanding nation.

How did he do it? Was it his strength? Was it his courage?

No. It was the Lord’s doing. The Lord says, “It was I…”

It was God who gave David all the successes, the victories, the palace. Would God need a grand temple to be His dwelling place?

No. The temple of God which David did build was finally destroyed. But the ‘house’ and ‘kingdom’ of David blessed by God will never fall because He promised David “your throne shall stand firm forever.”

Nothing built by man, no matter how grand, will last forever. Nothing brought up by God, no matter how humble, will ever fall.

Very soon I will be going home to India for a visit, after four years in Iowa. It would be a long 17-hour flight there. Home is far. As I thought about going back, memories of my childhood came flooding in. I used to tend to goats and cows on the family farm, I even had some favorites. 

I enjoyed farm life immensely. I aspired to be a good farmer like my father. Never have I imagined myself becoming a priest. Never have I imagined myself preaching here, now in this grand Cathedral, so far away from home.

How did I do it? Was it my hard work? Was it my good records?

No. None of the above. It was the Lord’s doing.

Even before I was born, God had built this church and knew that I would one day be preaching and ministering to His people here. It is not the easiest job, but since it is the Lord who brought me here, He will see me through it.

Now consider yourself and your life, where were you 10, 20, 30 or more years ago?

How did you get to where you are now? Did God shower blessings upon you? Are you satisfied with what God has done for you? Or do you feel everything has been wrong? 

I was at a parishioner’s house last week and I was shown the parish directory of 1984. I could recognize the younger versions of many of you here. You have gone through a lot in life, I am sure.

Many among you came to this country as refugees, seeking a better life, escaping the challenges of your homeland. Some of you were born and raised in this country, and similarly, look forward to a better life and navigating challenges in your daily life.

None of us have it easy in life, yet all of us are here because of the grace of God. It is not by chance that we are here today, it is not by our own efforts that we have what we have now. The Lord says to us, “It was I…”

Our God is a God of wonders. Our Christian vocation is profound and invaluable, if we understand that God’s plan is always better for us, that God’s will is far superior to our own will.

God has brought you this far, do you believe He will see you through till the end?

Angel Gabriel says in the Gospel today, "Nothing is impossible for God." And I would like to add that nothing is possible without God.

King David forgot that and ruined his good life when he later disobeyed God. In the same way, I could ruin my life too if I were to turn against God and neglect what He has done for me. Like David, God does not need me to do anything grand for Him. What then does He need from me?

This year, Advent is short. In just three hours, we will remove the Advent settings and prepare the sanctuary for Christmas.

Are you prepared for Christmas?

There is nothing grand we need to do for God. He needs no grand temple, huge mansion nor towering skyscraper. His favorite and only dwelling place is our heart.

Are you ready for Him?

All He wants is to hear us say “Yes!” and then open our hearts to receive Him fully. Like Mary did.

Let us not doubt, let us not delay. Christmas is here.

Yes! Come Lord Jesus, come! Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: January 30, 2023, Monday of the Fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: Thursday, June 9, Thursday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily: March 11, 2024, Mnday of the fourth week in Lent (Need signs and wonders to believe)

Homily: June 4, 2023, The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity (Trinity-Love-Power)

Homily: October 12, 2022, Wednesday of the twenty-eighth week in the ordinary time.

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)