Homily: March 11, 2024, Mnday of the fourth week in Lent (Need signs and wonders to believe)

 "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe…"

If you had been praying to God all your life, but never once were your prayers answered, would you still believe?

My mother was diagnosed with cancer when I was still studying in Rome. I prayed hard for a miracle for my mommy to be healed and to live long enough to see me become a priest. But she died at age 62 in 2012, four years before my ordination.

Then in 2018, my father was also diagnosed with cancer. He was 70 years old. Again, I prayed hard for his speedy recovery, since I was already a priest for two years, I desperately needed a miracle to believe in my priesthood. But he passed away just one week after his diagnosis.

I was sad for my parents’ early death, but what I found very difficult to accept was that my prayers for miracles were rejected, or so I thought.

Now fast forward to January 2024, finally I made my first trip back to India after four years in USA. One of my anxieties was my hundred-and-one-year-old grandfather. I am the only priest among his 15 grandchildren, and I have always prayed to be able to see him again before he passed away and to preside over his funeral.

Before the churches closed during the pandemic, my grandfather attended daily mass, served as a trustee of his parish for several years, and healed many people as a physician practicing traditional medicine. We were all very proud of him and I was especially fond of him.

A few days before my flight to India, I was told he suddenly became unresponsive and did not get out of bed. Again, I prayed for a miracle, but I doubted, recalling how my prayers for mommy and papa were not answered the way I wanted.

Amazingly, I was able to visit him, spend couple of hours with him on the very day I arrived. A few hours after I left his house, he passed away satisfied and at peace. I celebrated his funeral the next day.

Praise the Lord! Finally, I received a miracle!

No wonder Jesus says, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe…"

Even His ordained priest has faith so weak and so flickering.

If grandpa had passed away before I arrive, would I still praise God? Would I still believe in Him?

Many of us seek miracles when we face huge challenges or desperate situations in our lives. But the truth is, every day is a miracle. Every breath we take is a miracle. Every Holy Mass when God comes to be in communion with us, is a miracle. At reconciliation when every stain of our sin is wiped away, is a miracle.

Do we really need signs and wonders to believe? Do we not see that the Holy Eucharist is the greatest sign of God’s love, mercy and grace? Do we not see that our very existence is the greatest wonder of God’s creation?

No. We do not need more miracles, but we need better sight. We do not need signs and wonders, but we need eyes of faith. Lord Jesus, open my eyes and let me see all that you have already done for me. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 25, 2024, Monday of the Holy week (Servant songs).

Homily March 20, 2022, Third Sunday of Lent Year A Readings (For RCIA)

Homily: September 25, 2022, Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: November 7, 2023, Tuesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time (Invitation).