Homily: March 12, 2024, Tuesday of the fourth week in Lent (To be well)

“Once more, he measured off a thousand, but there was now a river through which I could not wade; for the water had risen so high it had become a river that could not be crossed except by swimming.”

The book of Ezekiel contains visions and prophecies of Ezekiel, called to minister to the Israelites who were in exile in Babylon. We get a glimpse of how they were living in those times. Having lost the temple in Jerusalem, the people felt they have lost God and were giving up on the traditions and practices to keep up their faith.

This vision of Ezekiel led me back to my own childhood days. Everyone in my village knew how to swim. There were no swimming coaches nor life jackets, but children just learnt to swim by following what others did.

There was a pond at our family farm, it was 20 feet deep and almost always full. My siblings and I would go there very often. They learnt to swim very fast, but I took a long time. I was afraid of the deep waters; I was fearful about drowning. While others swam, I simply jumped from one corner to another, pretending to enjoy it.

Did I want to swim?

Yes! But I was also comfortable not swimming.

Everyone encouraged me to just follow what they did and assured me they would save me if I sank but I was still afraid.

Finally, I was sick of being left out of the fun, I decided I really want to swim like the others. I decided it was not fun pretending to enjoy jumping around.

And I did it, I swam.

In the Gospel, Jesus asked the sick man, “Do you want to be well?”

If you noticed, he did not answer Jesus’ question directly, instead he complained to Jesus the problems and challenges he faced. He could not give a firm ‘yes’, it seemed like he was not sure if he really wanted to be well.

Thirty-eight years. Had he gotten comfortable with his condition and situation? Had he forgotten why he was at the pool every day? Had he gotten used to being sick?

Are we the same?

Have sin and sinfulness become a normal condition of your life? Have you become comfortable with the bad habits, the repeated vices, the regular wrong doings, the cycle of sin?

The longer we stay away, the harder it is to come back. The more we do it wrong, the more it feels normal. We forget why we are here, why we are Catholic, why we need to be saved.

Jesus asks, “Do you want to be well?”

He wants us to be well. He wants to reach out to us. But He needs us to say ‘Yes’, to be sure, to let go of what has become comfortable and get back into what is right.

God is with us, guiding us, protecting us, leading us into the streams of eternal life.

Do you want to follow?

Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: April 23, 2024, Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Easter (Exciting news).

Homily: April 6, 2024, Saturday in the octave of Easter (First five saturday devotion.)

Homily: March 24, 2022, Thursday of the Third Week of Lent

Homily, March 22, 2022, Tuesday of the Third Week of Lent.

Homily: March 25, 2024, Monday of the Holy week (Servant songs).

Homily March 20, 2022, Third Sunday of Lent Year A Readings (For RCIA)

Homily: September 25, 2022, Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Homily: August 20, 2022, Saturday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: November 7, 2023, Tuesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time (Invitation).