Homily: May 24, 2024, Friday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time (Don't complain).

"Do not complain, brothers and sisters, about one another, that you may not be judged… Indeed, we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord."

I really wish we had more scripture texts by St. James the Apostle. His short epistle is full of wisdom. He was the earliest among the apostles to receive martyrdom, which is why he did not get to write much.

Look at today’s reading and you can see how much he understood the human condition and was able to preach effectively with relevance to people’s lives. His advice for his listeners in those days is still applicable and very relevant for us in our time. We still struggle with the same issues even after 2,000 years.

Do not complain but count every blessing! That is my constant reminder for myself. Although most of the time, I just needed to vent my anger and frustrations to someone who understands, yet I would always regret it after complaining. Thank God I behave better and complain less now, my humility is still a work in progress.

Truly, if we were to count it seriously, we would find more blessings than misfortunes. God’s blessings are in abundance and beyond measure. Based on our sins and disobedience in many ways, we do not at all deserve these blessings. Still, we are in the habit of complaining about little things and small issues.

Life is not smooth sailing, there are big waves and thunderstorms but let us persevere like Job, like Moses, like all other prophets, like Jesus our Lord. Pope Benedict said, “The world offers you comfort, but you were not made for comfort. You were made for greatness!”

The rough times are not permanent anyway, those will pass and if we manage it well with the help of the Holy Spirit, we get strengthened and graced.

Yesterday, I celebrated Mass for the students from Holy Family school, for their graduation from middle school. While preparing to preach, I reflected a lot on my own journey in life, especially the school days. Looking back, without a doubt, I can confidently say that God has been guiding me, loving me, blessing me, and being with me daily leading me closer to holiness.

I have a lot to be thankful for, I am sure you too can count your blessings and be thankful. Our challenges, difficulties, and crosses of life are privileges, there is really nothing to complain about but much to be thankful for. God is good all the time. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: October 4, 2026, Twenty Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time (No Anxiety)

Homily: October 5, 2026, Monday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time (Repay you on my way back)

Homily: September 21, 2026, Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and evangelist (Follow me)

Homily: October 6, 2026, Tuesday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary time( Zealous Catholic)

Homily: September 27, 2026, Twenty-Sixth Sunday in Ordinary time (The Fair way)

Homily: October 3, 2026, Saturday of the Twenty Sixth Week in Ordinary Time (God Restores)

Homily: February 6, 2024, Tuesday of the fifth week in Ordinary time (Solomon Failed)

Homily: December 2, 2024 Monday of the First Week in Advent (Banquet)

Homily: April 24, 2023, Monday of the Third Week of Easter. (Angel Look)

Homily: April 2, 2024, Tuesday in the Octave of Easter (Mary at the Tomb).