Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

 "About midnight, while Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God…”

I cannot even imagine this scene. How could they still pray and sing in such a situation?

Whenever I have a slight headache, ear infection, or a little upset stomach, I would already be very disturbed. I would not even want to talk to anyone during those moments.

If I had something worse, I might not even be able to pray. If you look carefully at my left eyebrow, you will notice a scar. During my seminary days in Rome, there was once when I was late for class, and I ran so fast into the classroom that I crashed into the glass door without realizing it was closed. I shattered the glass and a piece of it cut deep across my eyebrow. Thankfully it missed my eye.

I was so in pain, shock and bleeding that I could not talk to anyone for a while, and I definitely was not in the mood to sing or pray.

But look at Paul and Silas. They had just been attacked by a crowd, were then stripped, and beaten with rods. After receiving many blows, they were thrown into prison. I am so sure they must have been bleeding and badly bruised, I wonder if they might even have suffered some broken bones.

But they were not groaning in pain. They were singing and praying out loud, praising God for having suffered for His sake. Imagine a joyous praise and worship service in prison by two fresh inmates who had just been bashed up and thrown in.

They were sharing the good news about God’s mercy and love, but they got beaten up. They did not complain about their dangerous job and were not cursing those who persecuted them. They should be suffering but instead, they were rejoicing!

Their attitude and behavior say a lot about the God they worship and the passion they had for their mission. 

Whenever I read this passage, I would feel ashamed of myself for complaining over minor troubles, taking offence over small matters, and getting all grumpy from slight injustices.

I am inspired by these apostles, their sense of joy simply for having done their mission. I need to learn from them how to praise and thank God always, regardless in good or bad times.

Holy Spirit, help us to sing and praise God always. Amen.

 


Comments

Read

Homily: May 18, 2022, Wednesday of the fifth week of Easter.

Homily, March 19, 2022, Solemnity of St. Joseph

Homily: May 14, Feast of St. Mathias (Chosen)

Homily: April 7, 2022, Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Homily: July 18, Monday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: December 8, 2022, Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Homily: March 27, 2024, Wednesday of teh Holy Week

Homily: February 15, 2023, Wednesday of the Sixth week in Ordinary time

Homilía: Marzo 24, 2022, Jueves de la III semana de Cuaresma.

Homily: March 7, 2022, Monday of the First Week of Lent.