Homily: August 31, 2026, Monday of the Twenty Second Week in Ordinary Time ()

“For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.”

Occasionally we hear the saying, “Who you know can be more important than what you know.” Our own knowledge is limited, and sometimes the people around us can help us in ways that our own knowledge cannot.

I experienced this recently with my immigration situation. I am especially grateful for someone who helped me find a way to renew my driver’s license even with documents that were about to expire. It reminded me that in difficult moments, it is a blessing to know people who are willing and able to help us.

Perhaps that can help us understand what St. Paul is saying today, but on a much deeper level. Paul himself was a highly educated man, trained as a Pharisee. Yet he tells the Corinthians, “I did not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom.” Instead, he says, “I resolved to know nothing…except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.”

Paul had discovered that, in the end, the most important thing was not simply what he knew, but whom he knew: Jesus Christ.

Sometimes we may feel that we do not know enough about our faith, Sacred Scripture, or theology. Certainly, learning about our faith is important. But Christianity is not simply about knowing things about Jesus. It is about knowing Jesus himself.

And we come to know him not only through books, podcasts, or videos, but especially by spending time with him: talking with him in prayer, sharing our daily lives with him, listening to him, thanking him for his blessings, and bringing our struggles to him.

The more we truly know Christ, the more we discover his love. And the more we experience his love, the more naturally we begin to share that love with others.

So perhaps today we can ask ourselves a simple question: I may know many things about Jesus—but how well do I know Jesus?

May our prayer be the prayer of St. Paul: that above everything else, we may come to know Jesus Christ, and him crucified.


Comments

Read

Homily: July 18, 2026, Tuesday of the Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Remember death)

Homily: August 15, 2026, Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sin-death)

Homily: August 30, 2025, Saturday of the Twenty-first Week in Ordinary Time (Work Hard)

Homily: June 30, 2026, Tuesday of the Thirteenth week in Oridnary Time (God's Favorite)

Homily: November 18, 2025, Tuesday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Courage)

Homily: August 10, 2026, Monday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Cheerful giver)

Homily: August 8, 2026, Saturday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Small Faith)

Homily: August 7, 2026, Friday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Forgiveness/Punishement)

Homily: March 17, 2025, Second Monday in Lent (Measure).

Homily: July 17, 2026 Friday of the Fifteenth Week in Ordinary Time (Jesus Heals)