Homily: July 18, 2026, Tuesday of the Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time (Remember death)
“It is I who deal death and give life.”
These words from our Responsorial Psalm today are actually not taken from the Book of Psalms. They come from the Book of Deuteronomy, chapter 32. They remind us of a fundamental truth of our faith: God is the author of life. Our life comes from God, belongs to God, and ultimately returns to God.
This phrase beautifully connects our first reading and the Gospel today.
In the first reading, the prophet Ezekiel speaks against the prince of Tyre, a man who had become proud because of his success, wealth, wisdom, and accomplishments. And so the prophet reminds him of one simple reality: you are only a man, and you will die.
There are certain realities in life that quickly reveal our limitations. An illness can make a powerful and independent person suddenly dependent on others. None of us can say, “I am too important to die,” or “I have accomplished enough that death cannot touch me.”
Sirach 7:36 says “In whatever you do, remember your last days, and you will never sin.”
The ancient Christian tradition expressed the same wisdom with the words memento mori—remember that you will die.
Remembering our death makes us humble. It reminds us that we are limited, that we are not in control of everything, and that ultimately our lives are in the hands of God: “It is I who deal death and give life.”
Today's Gospel. Peter says to Jesus, “We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?” Jesus promises that whoever gives up everything for his sake will receive a hundred times more and will inherit eternal life.
The person who knows that everything ultimately belongs to God is able to surrender everything to God. The more we surrender control of our lives to God, the freer we become. The more we place ourselves in his hands, the more peacefully and joyfully we can live.
Perhaps today we can ask ourselves: What am I still holding back from God? What am I afraid to place in his hands?
Our life came from God, our life belongs to God, and one day our life will return to God. If we remember that truth, it will not make us afraid. It will make us humble, grateful, generous, and free.
“It is I who deal death and give life.” May we trust the God who gave us life enough to place our whole life into his hands.
Comments
Post a Comment