Homily: April 21, 2024, Fourth Sunday of Easter (Good Shepherd).

 "I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me.”

Out of the 150 Psalms, I memorized two which are Psalm 91 and Psalm 23. As you know, I grew up on a farm. Venomous snakes were very common, so as a family, we used to recite Psalm 91 during family prayer and before setting off to go to the farm. One of the verses in the Psalm reads like this: “You can tread upon the asp and the viper.” As children, we thought it was a powerful spiritual weapon so memorized it.

At some point, Psalm 23 was also added to our family prayer. This family practice cultivated a beautiful prayer habit for me. And I especially love Psalm 23: “The Lord is my shepherd; nothing I shall want.”

If Jesus is our shepherd, our Lord, we will have everything we need, because He gives us everything including His own life. He protects us and ensures we are safe with His life. He would rather die for us than to see us die.

Each one of us is special to Him; thus, He knows us not as a flock of sheep all the same, but as unique individuals with specific names, and He knows us by our names. That is how close and familiar our Lord is with us.

He knew me even before I was born. In Jeremiah 1:4, we read, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,” and in Psalm 139, we read, “and every one of your days was written in his book before one of them ever came to be.” Jesus knows my past, my present and my future. He knows me better than I know myself. And He loves me more than I love myself.

How very blessed we all are.

During this mass, we will be witnessing two baptisms of Joseph Ambiri and Sirak Audum. During the rite, I will call them by their name as I baptize them, by that they will belong to Jesus forever. They will be clothed with the white garment, the sign of their Christian dignity. They will receive the Holy Spirit, the life-giving spirit, and will live with His presence all through their lives.

The same thing happened to us at our own baptisms.

God called us out from mere human existence to a meaningful relationship with Him as His children through the sacrament of baptism. We are no longer pitiful sinners but become privileged partakers in the great mysteries of the faith.

How very honored we are.

God wills that all His children recognize His love and will return to Him through Jesus, His beloved Son, who will protect us, guide us and lead us to be safely united with God.

But this world is filled with conflicting noises and attractive distractions; it is easy to get lost and fail to recognize the voice of the Good Shepherd. The strategy then is to huddle together for safety and collective hearing of the Good Shepherd’s voice, not to venture out alone and be overwhelmed by the vast array of fake promises.

The sheep that stays together in the sheepfold will be safe. The Lord is my shepherd; nothing I shall want. Amen.


Comments

Read

Homily: May 6, 2024, Monday of the sixth week of Easter (Lydia)

Funeral Homily: William J. Baum, June 8, 2023

Homily: May 4, 2024 Saturday of the fifth week of easter (Align to the Holy Spirit).

Homily:" May 7, 2024. Tuesday of the Sixth week of Easter (praise and worship in Prison)

Homily: April 18, Monday in the Octave of Easter.

Homily: February 27, 2022, Eight Sunday in the Ordinary Time

Homily: February 17, 2023, Friday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time.

Homily: June7, 2023, Wednesday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time (Pray Hardest).

Homily: November 20, 2023, Monday of the Thirty-third Week in Ordinary Time (Hope).

Homily: October 17, 2022, Monday of the Twenty-ninth week in Ordinary time.